Beyond Zero Emissions
Our mission: To demonstrate through research that technical solutions to climate change already exist, are practical and feasible, and can be implemented immediately.
Beyond Zero Emissions is a climate solutions think-tank. We advocate for an energy-efficient Australia, powered by renewables. This offers Australia a sustainable and prosperous future, as Australia could become a renewable energy superpower. We undertake:
- Collaborative research,
- Detailed transition planning,
- Advocating for our plans to be put into action
- Public and corporate education, and
- Network building
We are a not-for-profit organisation, dependent on public donations.
Sections in this page
- Guided by climate science
- Australia a Renewable Energy Superpower
- Plans for a “Zero Carbon Australia”
- The Energy Freedom Project
- The Zero Carbon Communities Project
- Awards for our work
Guided by climate science
The US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) presents the scientific consensus on climate change. (NASA: The Scientific Consensus). NASA quotes leading scientific organisations including:
“It is clear from extensive scientific evidence that the dominant cause of the rapid change in climate of the past half century is human-induced increases in the amount of atmospheric greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, chlorofluorocarbons, methane, and nitrous oxide.” (American Meteorological Society)
“Human‐induced climate change requires urgent action. Humanity is the major influence on the global climate change observed over the past 50 years. Rapid societal responses can significantly lessen negative outcomes. (American Geophysical Union)
Beyond Zero Emissions is guided by climate science. We are planning and advocating urgent action to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions to zero, and then to “beyond zero”, in order to reduce the current extremely high level of greenhouse gases in our atmosphere.
We advocate for climate change policy and action that is in line with the science and the 2015 Paris Agreement to reach peak emissions as soon as possible.
Australia: A Renewable-Energy Superpower
Beyond Zero Emissions has prepared detailed plans for Australia moving from a 19th century fossil fuel, emissions-intensive, economy to a 21st century renewable-energy, clean-tech economy.
Australia should eagerly move to renewable energy because we have competitive advantages in renewables and could grasp a prosperous future. We could become a renewable energy superpower by:
- Catching the rising wave of investment in renewable energy,
- Attracting more energy intensity industries, and
- Exporting renewable energy
This is a compelling vision for a prosperous Australia.
See our Renewable Energy Superpower Plan (2015)
Plans for a “Zero Carbon Australia”
Beyond Zero Emissions has:
- collaborated with distinguished institutions,
- completed research, and
- produced a series of research publications presenting detailed plans for transforming Australia into a zero-emissions economy.
Our widely acclaimed “Zero Carbon Australia” plans are:
- The Renewable Energy Superpower Plan (2015) which now sets a vision for Australia.
The other reports detail how this vision can be supported by each sector of the Australian economy.
- Electricity from renewables could be supplying all of Australia’s non-transport energy, within a decade, using technology that is proven and commercially available. (The Stationary Energy Plan: 2010)
- There are no technical barriers to achieving overall zero emissions from Australia’s buildings within a decade. (The Buildings Plan: 2013)
- Australia could have a high-speed rail from Melbourne to Brisbane within a decade, with 60% of Australians living within 50 km of a station. (The High Speed Rail Plan: 2014)
- Australia could eliminate overall greenhouse emissions from agriculture and forestry, giving rural communities economic opportunities and increased resilience to climate change. (The Land Use Discussion Paper: 2014)
- Australia should shift to 100% electric vehicles, run on 100% renewable electricity, within ten years. It’s feasible and affordable, with benefits for our environment, health and economy. (Electric Vehicle Plan: 2016)
- The Industrial Processes Plan is being researched at the moment, in 2016. Please contact us if this is your area of expertise or if you would like to fund this project
- Here is an overview of these projects: The Zero Carbon Australia Overview (300 kb pdf file)
You can buy hard copies or download them for free.
The Energy Freedom Project
- Simple energy efficiency measures, with
- Quality electrical appliances, and
- Rooftop solar panels
Your home could combine these to produce more energy than it uses and reach “Energy Freedom”, a home which is:
- Healthy, and
- High performance, with
- NO energy bills – due to gas and electricity use.
Beyond Zero Emissions has created “Energy Freedom”, a network of Australian households and reputable businesses who are transforming Australian homes into zero-emissions, net energy producers.
We have also developed a practical guide-book for renovators and builders
The Energy Freedom Home (2015)
The guide book details the steps people can take to reach energy freedom
The Zero Carbon Communities Project
In the face of inadequate climate action by national governments, Beyond Zero Emissions is supporting forward-looking cities and regions in their efforts to move to a sustainable future.
Awards for our work
The Beyond Zero Emissions vision is ambitious, but our research shows it’s achievable. Do join us to create a safer and more sustainable future.
The image at the top of the page: A group of people in Beyond Zero T-shirts, holding copies of the “Rewable Energy Superpower Report”.