Carbon Capture and Storage
Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) or “Clean Coal” has been promised for many years and is the favoured option of fossil fuel companies. These companies have used the promise of CCS to:
- delay the development of renewable energy
- offer hope to the coal industry, and
- delay action on climate change.
Industry claims that CCS is the cheapest way to reduce emissions. This ignores the fact that renewable energy is already cost-competitive – in some instances cheaper – than new-build fossil fuel generators.
It also ignores the fact that CCS has been a technology on the cusp of realisation for many years.
If we’re to avert the worst of climate change, emissions must go to zero, and beyond that as quickly as is possible. CCS can’t do it.
Here’s why it’s no solution:
- The technology is slow to develop, with unresolved limitations and uncertainties
- Underground storage of CO2 is not understood well enough, and there are no cases of permanent CO2 storage
- CCS itself consumes a large amount of energy
- The costs of CCS are going up (while renewable energy costs fall)
- CCS can only happen at an enormous scale with high expense and would be challenging to deploy
- Proponents are finding it difficult to obtain social license and financing, due to the damage caused by mining and climate change. Governments and industry are withdrawing support from CCS
- CCS is unnecessary and only delays the urgent transition away from fossil fuels and on to 100% renewable energy in Australia and in all countries of the world.
Beyond Zero Emissions is powered by volunteers: engineers, scientists, economists and communicators all contribute their time and expertise to develop and promote climate solutions that support a rapid transition to zero emissions. Can you join us?
Sign up today for the latest news on our projects.
Join us to learn more about our research and meet other industry, government and community leaders.
Your tax deductible contribution can fulfil the promise of zero emissions for Australia.
BEYOND ZERO EMISSIONS
Beyond Zero Emissions (BZE) is an internationally recognised climate change think tank, providing independent and ambitious climate change solutions for Australia.
Our flagship research shows how all sectors of the Australian economy can decarbonise, repower and benefit from the transition to zero emissions. These Zero Carbon Australia plans cover renewable energy and electricity; energy efficient buildings; sustainable transport; agriculture, farming and land use; and industry.
Through volunteer-powered research we show that a thriving, zero emissions society is achievable and affordable now, and that Australia can become a renewable energy superpower.